Attractions & Things to Do in Alexandria VA
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alexandria sits at the heart of all there is to see and do near Alexandria. Visit a lively scene in historic Old Town. Shop 'til you drop at National Harbor. Explore our nation's history in Washington DC. Or root for your team at FedEx Field.
We provide complimentary shuttle service to the Huntington Metro Station, ideal for car-free Washington DC getaways. Plus, guests have immediate access to Old Town Alexandria and area businesses . See some favorite local attractions in Alexandria, DC and beyond.
George Washington University
This historic college offers visitors the opportunity to stroll their picturesque campus as they learn all about what the school has to offer. George Washington University is famed for its diversity of specializations from political science to medicine and international affairs. Students who attend the university benefit from a well-rounded course selection and plenty of peer diversity, all just blocks from the National Mall! Potential students will want to visit George Washington University with their parents to find out more as they explore plenty of things to do in Alexandria.
Old Town Alexandria
A must-visit! Old Town Alexandria combines some of our most fascinating history and most popular dining and shopping options into one eclectic destination. As you explore King Street, you'll pass famous attractions such as Gadsby's Tavern, an 18th century tavern frequented by founding fathers, and the boyhood home of Civil War general Robert E. Lee. Be sure to ask the front desk for our recommendations when visiting Old Town.
National Harbor is the premier shopping destination near Alexandria and Washington DC. Situated in Maryland on the bank of the Potomac River, this vibrant outdoor shopping center offers a wide variety of national and local boutique retailers, excellent dining and entertainment. National Harbor is part of a larger complex which also includes the Tanger Outlets and the Gaylord National Convention Center, and is the future location of the MGM Casino at National Harbor. Holiday Inn Express Alexandria is located 2 miles and across Woodrow Wilson Memorial Bridge from National Harbor.
Mount Vernon Estate
The historic home of George Washington, Mount Vernon is a scenic 10-minute drive from the hotel that you will be glad you took. The manor house and grounds comprise a history museum dedicated to our first President's fascinating life and achievements in shaping the path of our nation to this day. A combination of guided and self-guided activities will take you through 50 acres of galleries, buildings and the stunning plantation gardens. An absolute favorite to add to your Washington DC getaway itinerary.
Home field of the Washington Redskins since 1997. FedEx Field is also a popular venue for key college football games and has increased in popularity as a professional soccer field in recent years. Although FedEx Field is located in Landover, MD, it is a remarkably quick trip up I-95/I-495, which is immediately accessible from the hotel. No tricky directions or last-minute surprises. Or you can skip the car altogether, hop our complimentary shuttle to the Metro station and take the Metro Rail all the way there.
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alexandria welcomes military travelers and government travelers to an affordable per diem rate near Fort Belvoir, situated about 7 miles away. Since opening, we have been a favorite among base visitors and their families, conveniently located between Fort Belvoir and all the most popular Alexandria and Washington DC attractions. We honor the District of Columbia Per Diem rate.
More Things to Do in Alexandria and DC
Our convenient location along Route 1/Richmond Highway gives guests of Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alexandria an endless variety of entertainment, history and culture within minutes of the hotel:
- Belle Haven Country Club - 0.5 mi.
- Gadsby's Tavern - 2 mi.
- Market Square - 2 mi.
- Old Town Alexandria - 2 mi.
- Robert E. Lee Home - 2 mi.
- Torpedo Factory Art Center - 2 mi.
- Scottish Christmas Walk Weekend - 2.3 mi.
- King Street Art Festival - 2.7 mi.
- Alexandria Film Festival - 2.8 mi.
- Virginia Garden Week - 2.9 mi.
- Strayer University - 3 mi.
- George Washington Masonic National Memorial - 3.3 mi.
- National Harbor - 3.5 mi.
- Alexandria Food & Wine Festival - 3.5 mi.
- Port City Brewing Co. - 3.9 mi.
- Gaylord Convention Center - 4 mi.
- Tanger Outlets - 4 mi.
- Reagan National Airport - 5 mi.
- National Harbor Crab & Beer Festival - 5.0 mi.
- Birchmere Music Hall - 5.2 mi.
- Crystal City Shops - 5.3 mi.
- National Harbor Tree Lighting Ceremony - 5.4 mi.
- Big Night DC at National Harbor - 5.4 mi.
- MGM Casino National Harbor - 5.6 mi.
- Christmas Illuminations at Mount Vernon - 5.9 mi.
- Mount Vernon - 6 mi.
- Fort Belvoir - 7 mi.
- George Washington University - 7 mi
- Arlington National Cemetery - 8 mi.
- Smithsonian Museums - 8 mi.
- Washington DC Memorials - 8 mi.
- National Museum of African American History & Culture - 9.4 mi.
- Seasons Greenings - 10.3 mi.
- Marymount University - 11 mi.
- American University - 12 mi.
- Smithsonian National Zoo - 13.4 mi.
- Tysons Corner - 15 mi.
- Potomac Mills - 17 mi.
- FedEx Field - 19 mi.
- Alexandria Winter Restaurant Week