Memorial Day Events in Arlington and Washington DC
Posted by: email@example.com
Memorial Day is a time of celebration and remembrance for our nation. Mark your calendars now, as Monday May 25, will be here sooner than seems possible and great family-friendly Memorial Day events are planned all over the Alexandria and Washington DC areas. We invite you to explore the history-rich Arlington National Cemetery Memorial Day experience. Admission is free and honoring those who have sacrificed in service of the United States of America is a memory not soon to be forgotten.
Highlights of a 2015 Memorial Day visit to Arlington National Cemetery include:
– A three hour period when soldiers place flags at more than a quarter million headstones of fallen soldiers. Each flag is planted precisely one foot in front of a grave marker and perfectly centered. Watch a Flags-In ceremony on You Tube here.
Changing of the Guard Ceremony
– The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier which contains the remains of soldiers from WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam is guarded 24 hours a day. Each hour there is a changing of the guard ceremony with a special march and salute.
Memorial Amphitheater Concert and Wreath-Laying Ceremony
– The official service of Arlington National Cemetery at 11 am sponsored by the U.S. Army Military District of Washington
Women In Military Service For America Memorial Ceremony
– Taking place at 4pm on Memorial Day at the gateway to Arlington National Cemetery, this includes formal military honors, a keynote address, wreath-laying and the Memorial’s signature event, the scattering of rose petals in tribute to departed comrades.
Visits to Famous Gravesites
– Among the notable Americans buried here are Presidents William Howard Taft and John F. Kennedy, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, and Robert Kennedy.
Touring the Monuments and Memorials
– The honored include: the Coast Guard Memorial, the Space Shuttle Challenger Memorial, Spanish-American War Memorial, the USS Maine Memorial and many more.
Memorial Day Accommodations
Washington DC and Alexandria, VA hotel rooms are sure to fill up quickly so make your reservations early. Located just 8 miles from Arlington National Cemetery the Holiday Inn Express Alexandria – Fort Belvoir offers easy access to many Alexandria and DC area attractions via the Metro. Utilize our free shuttle service to the Huntington Metro Station for the ultimate in convenience. Experience our award-winning service with the trifecta of FREE! Free breakfast, free Wi-Fi and free parking are sure to make your Memorial Day 2015 experience getaway worthy. Visit this detailed Memorial Day Weekend 2015 event list that includes the National Memorial Day Concert, the National Memorial Day Parade, and the hugely popular Rolling Thunder motorcycle Rally to take full advantage of everything the D.C. area has to offer!